Many problems are solved using ratios, but there are many ways to find the solution to a ratio problem. Two of the methods include:
- using a unit rate
- using a proportion
A proportion is simply when an equivalent ratio is setup (using either a fraction or ratio notation) and then an equivalent ratio is made. There are a couple of different ways to find the missing value in your equivalent ratio.
Watch the 4 videos on proportional reasoning:
- Introduction to proportions
- Solving a problem using either proportions or unit rate
- How the capture-release-recapture method of estimating natural populations is actually proportional reasoning
- Example using pricing/unit pricing.
- p67 #4-6, 9, 10, 12, 14-16, 19, 22
- Unit Project: Projected Sales
Things you should know how to do after today:
- use proportions or unit rates to solve proportional situations (involving ratios)