Plate tectonic theory proproses that there can be different kinds of interactions when two plates meet. What happens is a result of 2 factors:
- Which directions each of the plates are going
- The density of each plate (continental plates or oceanic plates)
Today, you will explore the different plate interactions and see what happens when the different plates meet.
- Workbook p218-p219
Things you should know after today:
- What happens when two oceanic plates are divergent (moving away from each other)? What is it called?
- What happens when two continental plates are divergent? What is it called?
- What happens when a continental plate converges with an oceanic plate? What are some of the results?
- What happens when two continental plates converge? Where is an example?
- What happens when two oceanic plates converge?
- What happens when one plate is moving faster than another plate, and catches up to it?
- What happens when two plates are sliding past each other?