When the zombie apocalypse comes, the mathematicians will be the only ones safe, primarily because they, like modern day epidemiologists, understand that the rate of transmission is modeled by a function that is not based on a polynomial. A different type of function models growth and decay of populations: the exponential function. Exponential functions are extremely useful for modeling anything that grows or decays over time:
- the metabolism of chemicals in your bloodstream
- the list goes on!
Today, we will find out some of the basic characteristics of exponential functions.
- p342 #1-12 C1 C2 *13 *14
Things you should know after today:
- the shape of an exponential growth curve
- the shape of an exponential decay curve
- characteristics of
- the y-intercept
- the equation of any asymptotes
- restrictions on the variable c
- what happens if 0 < c < 1
- what happens if c > 1